Some of you know we are trying to incorporate more meatless meals into our weekly meal plan. Meatless Monday (or really any day) appeals to me for three big reasons:
- It’s eco-friendly to eat less meat
- It makes me use up some of our pantry staples
- It’s frugal
Last week I decided to make Black Bean Tacos as our Meatless Monday meal. I figured my husband would be happy with something made with lots of flavor, but without the meat. Turns out the black bean tacos were pretty successful all around. The kids ate theirs entirely, the toppings made dinner fun and interactive, plus I got to clear through a jar of my dried black beans. (I made mine in the pressure cooker.)
The failure part is minor, yet significant. I am still nursing and it turns out my little guy really doesn’t want me to eat any bean dishes ….any.bean.dish. I felt so bad for my little Connor, and so bummed that I won’t be making this meal again for a while. Thought I would share it here and relive its glory until it comes back into the rotation next year.
- 8 corn taco shells
- 1 can black bean rinsed and drained, or 1 cup dried black beans cooked
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Green chilies
- Stack taco shells upright in a baking dish.
- Fill 1/4 way with baked black beans.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 6-8 minutes.
- Top taco with desired toppings.
About Emily Roach
Green Boston mom of three young children. Focused on family nutrition, wholesome recipes, and an eco-friendly lifestyle.